Monday, April 30, 2012

Finished! And Begun! Part 2!

I've tackled and brought down another UFO and a bit more yarn.
These Green Living Totes were started about 2 years ago, when I planned to make a bunch of them for gifts. I finally finished the first 2, then decided enough is enough. I like them but I do not love them. They will find a good home somewhere, eventually.
Speaking of good homes, one of the charity projects for the Knitting Guild this year is wash cloths and soap bags for Safe Homes and women's shelters in our area. I have plenty of Peaches and Creme left to make several sets. I am using my favorite pattern, the Ballband, from Mason Dixon. The soapbag pattern adaptation is still wandering around in my brain...
So that I do not have to carry around the huge cones, I used my math skills to determine how many grams I need for the inside color (28g) and the outside color (20g.) I love my Biggest Loser Kitchen Scale! For my version, I work the pattern over 39 stitches, but I cast on 4 extra stitches (total 43 stitches) and always knit the 1st 2stitches of each row.  Before the final 2 stitches, I bring the yarn forward and slip those last 2 stitches. It makes a nice edge...sorry about the washed-out color- I ran out to take the picture at dusk so I could finish this post!!)
I think these projects will hit a home run!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Beautiful! That's a lot of cotton yarn...how can there still be any after all those dishcloths a few years ago?! But how wonderful to be able to use it for such a good cause.

I know where you could donate a bag... :) They're beautiful!!